Embrace Richmond is a faith-based 501(c)3 non-profit organization founded on Christian principals and dedicated to strengthening communities through an asset-based community development approach.
Asset Based Community Development (ABCD) is a large and growing movement that considers local assets as the primary building blocks of sustainable community development. Building on the skills of local residents, the power of local associations, and the supportive functions of local institutions, asset-based community development draws upon existing community strengths to build stronger, more sustainable communities for the future.
A community is being transformed when
- A community unites around a shared vision
- Neighbors use their gifts to help the neighborhood
- Leadership emerges in the community from the community
- Residence assume ownership for the on-going work of community transformation
- There is a growing sense of pride and community connectedness
- There is less dependence on outside organizations and resources
- Residence experience a sense of peace and joy (Shalom)
- Local congregations love their neighbors by developing local leadership
- There is evidence of God’s Kingdom is breaking through on earth as it is in heaven.
We were created to live in community. It is God’s desire that our communities are places of shalom where joy and peace are experienced by all.
We were all given gifts, talents and abilities that were intended to be used for the common good.
When we come together around a shared vision and we use our gifts to be a blessing to our neighbors, we are ushering in a little piece of heaven here on earth and our community is transformed.
Embrace Richmond strengthens communities by developing, coaching, and supporting community and congregational leaders who desire to be agents of change in their neighborhoods.
A city united to embrace all – bridging people of every race, class and religious background together to care for one another.
Dream Works: Our Dream Teams help unleash the creative imagination of a community in a way that leads to a shared community vision.
Unity Works: Our Unity Works training develops leaders that effectively mobilize community assets around a shared mission.
Community Works: Through our Community Works collaboratives we partner with congregations, neighborhood associations, non-profit and governmental organizations to support neighbor-led initiatives.
Just Works: Through our Just Works initiatives we help neighbors advance economically in two ways:
- Social Enterprise Opportunities – We help neighbors start small social enterprises that both strengthen a community and create jobs for neighborhood residents.
- Great Neighbor Micro-Grants – We help community leaders mobilize their neighbors to serve the common good.
Embrace Richmond grew out of a homeless woman’s desire to help others. Through the years Embrace Richmond has helped hundreds of people discover their gifts and use them to be a blessing to their neighbors. Learn more about Embrace Richmond’s story here or in Wendy McCaig’s book “From the Sanctuary to the Streets: How the Dreams of One City’s Homeless Sparked a Faith Revolution That Transformed a Community” (CASCADE 2010).